Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How should I advise my mother-in-law?

More than a year ago, I decided to become a vegetarian. Naturally, I lost some weight. Six months after the switch, I took it a step further and became a vegan. I've been a vegan for about 9 months now. And, I have lost even more weight. I still get double takes from ppl who knew me. They tell me how healthy and upbeat I have become. I became a vegetarian because I decided not to support factory farms; not for weight loss (although it's a nice plus). My mother-in-law (who has steadily gained weight over the past year) wanted to follow suit and tried a vegetarian diet unsuccessfully 2 times! At first, I gave her all the tools (websites, books, magazines) and knowledge I could. " She's a nurse. She has an advantage, " I thought to myself. WRONG! She would call me and ask me questions like, " If I eat vegetable soup without chicken but with chicken broth, is it considered vegetarian?" " What if I eat just the broccoli and sauce in beef and broccoli stir fry?" " Do ALL vegetarians ban gelatin from their diet?" I even went so far as to BUY her vegetarian food products. Just recently, she decided to give it a try AGAIN. She isn't interested in animal welfare; she just wants to lose weight. I have a feeling she is going to fail again. How should I go about this?! I'm frustrated and losing my patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment